Sunday, November 8, 2009

Who Am I?


I went to teach a class at Starbright Preschool (http://www.starbrightpreschool.com/) last week. I teach the little ones (18 months to 3 yrs) first. They are so precious! Quite often in classes with little kids they sit through the whole class - watching and absorbing what is done.
I have had kids in my classes for years and I have never seen them do yoga - but their Moms post pics of them doing the yoga at home! This always reminds me of the importance of being our radiant selves while in the presence of the kids. They form themselves from what they are exposed to in their worlds. I want to be grace-full and bright in their company...reflecting their essence back to them.

After the little ones, I teach the older kids (3-5 yr olds). As we shared our practice one little girl raised her hand and proceeded to tell me she has a REAL yoga teacher at home that wants to teach her yoga all the time. I responded with - that is great! I then offerred them a chance to look through their their 'wise-eyes' (gyan mudra around the eyes) to see what they could see.
We became dogs, bugs, snakes, and trees through our 'wise-eyes'.

Later as I drove away from the school I contemplated the opportunity to look through MY 'wise-eyes' to uncover what I could in the little girl's comment...I have a REAL yoga teacher at my house....
am I a REAL yoga teacher?
am I Real?
who am I?
Each question gave me a path deeper into myself. Over this week these questions have floated in and out of my consciousness, each time giving me the chance to know myself better.

And that is all yoga really is - a chance to know myself better.